Sunday, August 3, 2008

Job well done, captain

Baru habis that stupid CA quiz. Alhamdulillah, I got 6 out of 8.

That's another 1.88%, so in total that's 0/8 + 5/8 + 5/7 + 6/8 = 16/31 = 52% (a Pass!!!!). Not a bad job, given I got 0 for my first quiz, that helped my cause a lot.

Almost killed myself, ended up doing daily 2 hour after-work studies and 12 hour days on weekends and I still don't understand some of those stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy learning accounting, and it has been very pivotal in increasing my financial knowledge substantially, but tolonglah, is there anyone who can write the standards in plain English? The sentence structures are just shocking. At best, archaic and at worst, total nonsense. I'm guessing lawyers share the same view as I do.

Sample sentence:

Derivative Definition

A derivative is a financial instrument or other contract with all three of the following characteristics:

· its value changes in response to the change in a specified interest rate, financial instrument price, commodity price, foreign exchange rate, index of prices or rates, credit rating or credit index, or other variable, provided in the case of a non-financial variable that the variable is not specific to a party to the contract (sometimes called the ‘underlying’);


Notice the bolded part? Try understanding that. Now imagine another hundred of phrases similar to that, and you've only got 2 weeks (minus work, eat, sleep) to make sense of them before the next quiz and study session. That's what I had to go through, and it felt like absolute hell. Glad to get it done and over with, and still surviving in one piece. Ah lega.

Apa-apa hal pun, I'm very happy with the result, seriously! There's a whole bunch of people I need to thank. Housemate, thanks for your lecture notes / books / references, helped clarify heaps of stuff. Thanks to my senior accountants for explaining what some of the terms meant. (My very busy Group Finance Manager even made time to explain the above paragraph to me, so that's awesome!!). Most importantly, all you guys for giving me encouragement to not give up and keep working on it non-stop.

Admittedly, there's still bucketloads to be done. Exam in 3 weeks, so kena increase intensity lagi. That's alright, sesungguhnya untuk setiap kesusahan pasti ada kesenangan. All in all, great teamwork guys. Thanks heaps.

P.S - Tasia, kek kau sedap gila. Bersemangat waja aku nak buat quiz lepas tu.

No comments: